Your Guide to The Daniel Fast
What To Expect:
Expect God to move in your home, our church, and our city! You may see immediate changes, but sometimes, a process of restoration and healing will begin during the fast and come to completion later. Continue to believe God to finish what He started. Hebrews 11:6 tells us that faith pleases God and that if we come to Him believing, He will reward us.
When you fast, your body detoxifies, eliminating toxins from your system. This can cause mild discomfort such as headaches and irritability during withdrawal from caffeine and sugars. And naturally, you will have hunger pains. Limit your activity, and exercise moderately. Take time to rest. Fasting brings about miraculous results. You are following Jesus’ example when you fast. Spend time listening to praise and worship. Pray as often as you can throughout the day. Get away from the normal distractions as much as possible and keep your heart and mind set on seeking God’s face.
“I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.” Daniel 10:3
Recommended Foods to Eat
- Whole Grains: Brown Rice, Oats, Barley
- Legumes: Dried Beans such as Butter Beans, Pinto Beans, Lentils, Black Eyed Peas, etc.
- Fruits: Apples, Apricots, Bananas, Blackberries, Blueberries, Boysenberries, Cantaloupe, Cherries, Cranberries, Figs, Grapefruit, Grapes, Guava, Honeydew Melon, Kiwi, Lemons, Limes, Mangoes, Nectarines, Papayas, Peaches, Pears, Pineapples, Plums, Prunes, Raisins, Raspberries, Strawberries, Tangelos, Tangerines, Watermelon
- Vegetables: Artichokes, Asparagus, Beets, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chili Peppers, Corn, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Garlic, Ginger root, Kale, Leeks, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Mustard Greens, Okra, Onions, Parsley, Potatoes, Radishes, Rutabagas, Scallions, Spinach, Sprouts, Squashes, Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes, Turnips, Watercress, Yams, Zucchini, etc.
- Seeds: Nuts, Sprouts
- Liquids: Spring Water, Distilled Water, 100% All-Natural Fruit Juices, 100% All Natural Vegetable Juices
Recommended Foods to Avoid
Meat, fish, white rice, fried foods, caffeine, alcohol, breads, chips, crackers, carbonated beverages, foods with preservatives/additives, refined sugar, sugar substitutes, white flour and all products using it, margarine & shortening, high fat products
“Is this not the fast that I have chosen: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out; when you see the naked, that you cover him, and not hide yourself from your own flesh? Then your light shall break forth like the morning, your healing shall spring forth speedily, and your righteousness shall go before you; the glory of the Lord shall go before you; the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.”
It is understood that the purpose of a fast is to deny self. During the fast, we should not be so driven to find pleasure in the food items on the fast, but rather to just sustain the body with God-given nutrients and seek His presence.
(The above items were taken from http://fastfood101.wordpress.com/guide-to-the-daniel-fast/